Monday, March 12, 2012

Every Little Bit Matters....

Wholesale is great!  ALOT of beads, connectors, findings and whatever else you need in BULK!  I love bulk!  The only downside is that, when ordering online, with wholesalers - especially when their in another country - can be tricky!  You never really know the quality or the actual size until you get the products.....after waiting weeks.

So, that pile of silvery mess in the bottom left hand corner of the picture above, is only a fraction of connectors that I ordered from one of my favorite wholesalers in China.  The shape was so unique, yet simple but I knew I had to have them and I think I got 1000 for like $0.85.  Who could pass that up??

However, when I finally got them.....I had no idea what I would do with them....I had so many!  They were thinner than I anticipated so I was afraid that my heavy hands and inexperience would ruin them some how.  They've been sitting in their designated organizer tray, collecting dust.  I had to do something with them.

So I looked at the number of jump rings I had available and started connecting the dots.  Next thing I knew, I had chain.  In between each grouping, I wire wrapped 3 czech glass beads, 2 have RB coating, which gives the turquoise a darker color and shimmers of purples and gold and also a plain turquoise color.

Alternating the groupings, I made my way down the chain.  I took so much longer to complete than I anticipated but alas, finally finished after 2 movies and a bathroom break.

I really need to get bent needle nose jewelry pliers.

As a jewelry designer, you're probably wondering why I don't have all the necessary tools, but they just seemed like one more thing I could do without.  However, working with alot of jump rings in a project, I can definitely see how they would have been handy.  My poor little finger tips ached badly by the time I was done!

Surprisingly enough, I used fewer rings than I thought but I definitely need to re-up on my supply.


Voila!
Here's the final piece.

I think more or less, I'm satisfied with the end result.  I have it sitting on a necklace display stand because I just don't think it's quite finished.  There's something missing for me.  *thinking* ......*shrug*....I don't know.  Maybe not.....*thinking*......no, I think somethings missing.  I'll just have to let the piece decide....because I can't put my finger on it.

What do you think?  What would you add, if anything at all?

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what you can come up with just by playing around with what you have? Cool! I don't think i would add anything but what about making it longer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually is a little bit longer than what you see in the picture. I use my daughter as a "model" and well, I'm protective of her cleavage. :-)

    ReplyDelete