Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Shangri-La

Hahahahaha, I don't know why I titled this post "Shangri-La".  I just looked at these earrings and tried to describe the shizzam, the sparkle, the sexy and feminine feeling that they give me.....and some where in that..."Shangri-La" came to mind. hehehehehe...

So, do you know the story behind Shangri-La?  I'll have to admit, I didn't.  It was just something I heard as a kid.  And I like the way it sounds.  It always sounds fun and makes me "shake my shimmy" when I say it.

So I googled (I'm the google master) and here's the WIKIPEDIA skinny on "Shangri-La":


Shangri-La is a fictional place described in the 1933 novel Lost Horizon by British author James Hilton. Hilton describes Shangri-La as a mystical, harmonious valley, gently guided from alamasery, enclosed in the western end of the Kunlun Mountains. Shangri-La has become synonymous with any earthly paradise but particularly a mythical Himalayan utopia — a permanently happy land, isolated from the outside world. In the novel Lost Horizon, the people who live at Shangri-La are almost immortal, living years beyond the normal lifespan and only very slowly aging in appearance. The word also evokes the imagery of exoticism of the Orient. In the ancient Tibetan scriptures, existence of seven such places is mentioned as Nghe-Beyul Khimpalung.[1] Khembalung is one of several beyuls ("hidden lands" similar to Shangri-La) believed to have been created by Padmasambhavain the 8th century as idylic, sacred places of refuge for Buddhists during times of strife (Reinhard 1978).
The use of the term Shangri-La is frequently cited[by whom?] as a modern reference to Shambhala, a mythical kingdom in Tibetan Buddhisttradition, which was sought by Eastern and Western explorers; Hilton was also inspired by then-current National Geographic articles onTibet, which referenced the legend.[citation needed]
A perfect and fitting name for these snazzy little joints, right?

So here's where I get all "artsy fartsy" on you.....I believe truly, that when you have a talent or gift....specifically something crafty....it starts with a vision and it will evolve to become what it wants to be.  I'm just the messenger! *smiles*

For the supplies I used memory wire for the hoops and a small gold jump ring to attach the earring post.  I chose 8/0 silver lined, RB coated Hex beads in Dark Root Beer and Rosaline.  To create the fringe, I used Fireline beading thread in Crystal. To secure, besides the series of knots, I did a very light coating of E600 bonding glue.

I didn't anticipate that they were going to take so long to complete...and maybe if I had sat still with just this project, I would have completed them faster.  But of course, there's mommy duties to be attended and of course, work everyday (boy...I wish sometimes, I didn't have to punch a clock....but I'm thankful...THANKFUL for my job).....but honestly....I was exhausted while I created these.  But I LOVE how they turned out!  Now that I have the motions together....I'm sure I can get them done faster....and I'm looking forward to making these in different colors and combinations!

I'm in love with these sexy mamas!

No comments:

Post a Comment