Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kumiwho??

Recently, I got new jewelry making toy!  Kumihimo wheels!  I love them!  I have a round and a square wheel.  I haven't used the square wheel yet (it makes flat braids) but I'm excited to try it out.  Kumihimo is a beautiful uniformed braiding technique.
Where to start?! Braiding silk and thread has been part of almost every culture throughout the ages. Specifically, the Japanese began braiding cord and silk for Samurai warriors to lace & decorate their armor and scabbards.
It further developed into a decorative way of fastening kimonos around 550 AD. The Japanese developed particular styles that allowed for braids of superior intricacy. With more delicate methods came more decorative braids, until each braid was so unique that it became a symbol of a Japanese warrior’s status.
You can read more about Kumihimo at "What Is Kumihimo?" - Click here & learn!.  Really great website.

I've pretty much "mastered" the very basic technique but even with it, changing the threads, with or without beads....The possibilities are endless!

My very first braiding project.


It reminds me of corn on the cob! hahahaha!

I was completely intimidated by the wheel but really, once you get the hang of it....and a rhythm to the thread patterns, it's really easy.  Well.....let's put easy in a quotations....hahaha!  I still have to learn how to measure out the beads and string for projects.  I really did use wwwwaaaayyyy to much string and strung too many beads for the first project.  So I'll have to get that part down pat AND I need to understand how to place the beads in the specific pattern to get spirals.  I don't know why that's been a challenge to understand....me and numbers don't always get along.

So here was my next attempt. This time I used seed beads and drop beads on nylon. I wanted the drops to spiral but I loaded the beads wrong and it came out to look like "flowers".  No problem....I'll take it! Just one of those "fails" that actually work.

So of course, I'm no quitter....I tried it again!  This time, I put each color on a "like color" string (I've been using embroidery thread) and put the same colors warps adjacent to each other. 4 colors, 8 warps...so 2 white, 2 blue....etc....etc.
Well, I managed a spiral and the smaller beads fell in line next to each other, which gave the look of a core for the white and peridot bicones to spiral around! So I'm on to something! 




After I finished this bracelet, I looked at another that I previously made using the flat spiral stitch....and what do you know....going for a spiral look with humihimo....there wasn't much difference!  Hmmmmmm.....
Flat Spiral Stitch


The only difference....to me...with a flat spiral....I know exactly what the "core" will be!  They both are pretty simply and easy to learn techniques. They both accept just about any bead you want and offer the ever changing appearance of your projects....just by changing the beads!  Oh, and they both build up quickly!

All in all...I'm more than pleased with the kumihimo techniques.  I know the patterns get more advanced and I'm excited to take some on soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment