Monday, January 23, 2012

Filigree and Me

I LOVE the intricacies of filigree.  Although, I was always a little bit intimidated by working with filigree because I just never knew how!  However, during one of my Saturday afternoon visits to one of my favorite bead stores, U Bead It , one of the employees there had on a beautiful "antique" ring.  Many of the employees there wear alot of their own creations so I asked her about it.

What did you use? How durable is the ring? How difficult is it to make?

Much to my surprise she replied: "Filigree, I've had it for 3 years and it's never come apart on me and it's probably the easiest piece of jewelry that I've ever made"!  Honestly, I hadn't really had much knowledge about filigree.  I've always fingered with the different elements in the display case but again, "what do you do with these" would always pop in my mind.  So after talking with her more and getting a closer look at the ring's construction, she walked me over to the display and selected the elements that I would need to recreate the ring she wore.

But if you know anything about filigree most of the elements are flat.  I didn't want to seem "new to the scene" so I was a little hesitant to ask, "well, how do you make this into a band"? hahaha silly, I know....but I always feel sooooooo uninformed and intimidated when I'm in the store with all the other veteran jewelry makers.  So putting my pride aside, I asked "well, how do you make this into a band"?

She was more than excited to show me what to do, well, as much as she could without it infringing on it being a "class" that the store sponsors.

Since then, I've gotta say...I think I'm getting pretty good at selecting my filigree elements and how to manipulate the shapes to come up with a finished piece that's wearable and not a train wreck of brass.  I LOVE how intricate everything looks without it being difficult and taking countless hours to complete. Instant gratification!

Here are the cuffs that I made over the weekend.  I'm very pleased with the results!

"Brass & Blue"

"Brass & Pink"

"Brass & Pink"


1 comment:

  1. Very pretty! I've never made a cuff. It seems rather intimidating!

    ReplyDelete