Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Fads vs. Fab

I've never wanted to follow trends or fads.  Since I've started making jewelry, I LOVE the idea of being unique.  I must confess, when it come down to my accessories I have a very strong selfishness.

"Look-what-I-have-nobody-else-will-have-this-and-I-know-its-cool-and-unique"

So, I wanted to give that same thing to my customers. One-of-a-kind style!

Well.....that's not going totally as planned. hahahaha!  

There are some things that I've created that I can't duplicate simply because of the materials that I've used. But for the most part, everything can be recreated and when people want them....I'll remake it. *yawn*

Recently, with the Basketball Wives reality show (of which, I do NOT watch) I guess the "wives" wear these really flamboyant earrings and everybody went crazy over these earrings.  EVERYBODY started making these earrings and/or purchasing wholesale for resale...talking about ground swell....INSANITY!  

And I was completely turned off.

Blah!

I was asked time and time again, "do you have the basketball wives earrings?  Can you make the basketball wives earrings"?

Blah!

I just feel like, why should I recreate what hundreds are doing? Don't you want to be unique? This style is here today and will be gone as soon as the next great thing comes along!  And these are the most ridiculously easy to make earrings, so you really could make your own and save yourself some money.  I have a hard time charging for "these" kinds of things.  It just feels like a rip off. Pay your money for something authentic and original  BUT very loyal customers are always right and I gave in. *sigh*

I order many of my supplies wholesale, especially when I need bulk for a project, from China. Even though buying wholesale is so much cheaper, you have to pay out the wazoo for shipping and it can take weeks to get your supplies.  I don't mind the wait or having to pay for shipping.  After the final penny drops, you really do come out cheaper than retail.

Forgive me, I digress....

So after much poking and prodding, I gave in and made a version of the "spacers earrings".  I didn't use as many spacers as others (I have to be different some kind of way!) but here they are....and I must admit....they really are cute...and it wasn't that I didn't like them to begin with....I just didn't think they were special after so many people were remaking and reselling....*shrug*....I just can't ride the bandwagon on some things.....

I WILL not keep these in my inventory.  I will only make them by special order and if I don't have the supplies, I have retail resources that I can direct my customers to...if they allow me! Hahahaha....I had one customer tell me, "Look! I want to give my money to YOU! I want YOU to make them"!! She was so adament!  hahahaha....I think that's what convinced me.  She strong armed me into submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment